using the prompts below, write a drabble (or whatever) a day for the next 30 days. find someone willing to hit you if you miss a day. look back at the end and go ‘oh! i’m a writer!’.
beginning. accusation. restless. snowflake. haze. flame. formal. companion. move. silver. prepared. knowledge. denial. wind. order. thanks. look. summer. transformation. tremble. sunset. mad. thousand. outside. winter. diamond. letters. promise. simple. future.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle gave Sherlock Holmes a full panoply of supporting characters. There was Dr. Watson, the quintessential “sidekick,” to act as a sounding board; Scottish landlady Mrs. Hudson, to cook and clean and fuss over Holmes; Scotland Yard Inspector LeStrade, to provide a foil for Holmes’ intuitive brilliance, as well as access to official investigations; the Baker Street Irregulars, to ferret out information; and Mycroft Holmes, Sherlock’s politically powerful older brother, to provide financial and strategic support. Like Doyle’s, your cast of supporting characters should reflect what your protagonist needs.
Balancing Character Traits
An amateur sleuth needs a friend or relative with access to inside information—a police officer, a private investigator or a crime reporter will fit the bill. A character who’s arrogant and full of himself needs a character to keep him from taking himself too seriously, maybe an acerbic coworker or a mother. You might want to show a hardboiled police detective’s softer side by giving him kids or a pregnant wife.
The most important supporting character in many genres, though, is the sidekick. Virtually every mystery protagonist has one. Rex Stout’s obese, lazy, brilliant Nero Wolfe has Archie Goodwin—a slim, wisecracking ladies’ man. Carol O’Connell’s icy, statuesque, blonde Detective Kathy Mallory has garrulous, overweight, aging, alcoholic Detective Riker. Robert B. Parker’s literate, poetry-quoting Spenser has black, street-smart, tough-talking Hawk. Harlan Coben’s former basketball-star-turned-sports-agent, Myron Bolitar, has a rich, blond, preppy friend, Windsor Horne Lockwood, III.
See a pattern? It’s the old opposites attract. Mystery protagonists and their sidekicks are a study in contrasts. Sidekicks are the yin to the protagonists’ yang. The contrast puts the protagonists’ characteristics into relief. For instance, the thickheaded Watson makes Holmes look smarter.
The place to start in creating a sidekick is with the profile you developed of your sleuth, so think about what kind of opposites will work.
some things you may have not known about The Fault In Our Stars
- Augustus’ name symbolizes water. obviously, there is a lot of water in the book, it is nourishing and reviving and it symbolizes the doctors taking away the water out of Hazel’s lungs
- the reason why Augustus always calls hazel, “Hazel Grace” is because in one point of the book Hazel tells him that she likes people with two names, so simultaneously Augustus calls her, Hazel Grace.
- On the plane when they are watching 300, Augustus’ movie starts and ends first, and it foreshadows his death.
- Isaac (according to John Green) was not named Isaac because his eyes are sick, ha ha ha, but because in other references, Isaac’s are old men who live to tell the tale’s of star crossed lovers and other heroic adventures.
- In one point of the book, Gus says to Hazel “You used to call me Augustus”. Basically, Augustus is a strong name, it’s healthy and stable. Hazel, without even realizing it, starts calling him Gus, which is weaker and more unstable when he tells her of his cancer.
- Augustus and Anne Frank have very similar coincidences. He had cancer and he underwent an operation to hopefully cure him of his cancer, only to die. And Anne Frank went into hiding with the hope of being free, but ended up dying. And it’s also not a coincidence that they made out in the Anne Frank house.
I need this in my blog
These links work as of 5/7/13.
None of the links require downloads, plug in installs, or signing up for anything of ANY KIND. Those are just ads, click out of them and press play. If you’re struggling, this chrome plug in will make your life easier.
Subbed = speaking in japanese with english subtitles
Dubbed = speaking in english (usually with no subtitles)
- The Cat Returns: subbed | dubbed
- Grave of the Fireflies: subbed | dubbed
- Horus: Prince of the Sun: subbed | x
- Howl’s Moving Castle: subbed | dubbed
- Kiki’s Delivery Service: subbed | dubbed
- Laputa: Castle in the Sky: subbed | dubbed
- My Neighbor Totoro: subbed | dubbed
- My Neighbors the Yamadas: subbed | dubbed
- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind: subbed | dubbed
- Only Yesterday: subbed | x
- Panda! Go Panda!: subbed | x
- Pom Poko: subbed | dubbed
- Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea: subbed | dubbed
- Porco Rosso: subbed | dubbed
- Princess Mononoke: subbed | dubbed
- The Secret World of Arrietty: subbed | dubbed
- Spirited Away: subbed | dubbed
- Tales from Earthsea: subbed | dubbed
- Whisper of the Heart: subbed | dubbed
Because I’ve been asked, here’s a link to a program that allows you to download fanfiction, in almost any file type, from various fanfiction websites such as fanfiction.net.
This is great for saving multichapter fics as .epub or .rtf to save onto my ipod to read on the go.
No Mac download that I can see, but Mac users should still be able to use the Webversion.
• Accidentally close a tab? Ctrl+Shift+T reopens it.
• Bananas release dopamine, eat them when you’re sad.
• CTRL+SHIFT+ESC is the one handed version of CTRL+ALT+DEL
• Don’t brush your teeth hard, it makes them sensitive and removes enamel.
• Don’t like spiders? Put citronella oil on your walls and they will not go there.
• Drink one glass of water for every alcoholic drink you have, you’ll get drunk without getting a hangover.
• Get clear ice cubes by boiling water before freezing it
• Heal paper cuts and immediately stop the pain with chapstick.
• If you accidentally write on your dry erase board with a permanent marker, scribble over it with a dry eraser marker to remove it.
• If your shoes smell, put them in the freezer overnight, it will kill the bacteria.
• Make bug bites stop itching with a banana peel.
• Make a paper longer with 12-point text, but 14-point periods and commas.
• Need to get around a blocked website at work? Try replacing the http:// with https://
• Never send your resume as a word file (unless asked) Instead, print it to a pdf file, it’s much cleaner and professional looking.
• Pick a flavor of gum you don’t normally chew, and chew it while studying during a test.
• Place a piece of bread in a container with your homemade cookies and they will stay soft.
• Put a dry towel into a dryer with wet clothes, they will dry faster.
• Put toothpaste on a pimple and it will dry out.
• Practise fake smiling in the mirror every day before going to work/school, you’ll genuinely start to feel happier.
• Rub canola/olive oil on knives before cutting onions, you won’t cry, alternatively chew gum and you won’t either.
• Short on time with a wrinkled dress shirt? Hang it up in the bathroom to steam it flat.
• The night before, place things you don’t want to forget the next morning on top of your shoes.
• Use hydrogen peroxide to remove blood stains from clothing.
• When cleaning windows use newspapers or coffee filters instead of paper towels, they will not leave streaks.
• When microwaving bread products/pizza put a glass of water in with it, it will keep your bread for going spongy.
• When you move into a new place you’re renting, take pictures of any and all damage, then post them on facebook (privately if preferred) so you can use the reference date as proof you didn’t do it.
• When searching plane tickets online delete your cookies prior, prices go up when you visit a site multiple times. <sma
- 2 cups of golden syrup
- 1 cup of warm water
- 10 teaspoons of very red food coloring
- 10 tablespoons of corn flour
- blue food coloring
- yellow food coloring
- little bit of peppermint flavoring
You are now ready to throw Sherlock off a roof.
WATCH THE FUCKING VIDEO I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO TERRIFIED
Alright, kiddies, it’s that time again. Giveaway time! This giveaway is kind of sort of celebrating my approaching 30,000 follower mark, but really I just want to get rid of my leftover con merchandise. If you want to see my other tees just head on over to my RedBubble!
EDIT: I added some charms celebrating my 30,000 followers! Each winner will receive two charms, one Sherlock, and one John.
Here are the rules (please see before reblogging!):
- This giveaway will end on August 1st, 2013, so you have plenty of time!
- You can only reblog once. I repeat. ONCE. If you reblog more than once, it’s not very fair to the other people who want to win, and plus Tumblr doesn’t show multiple reblogs, so really it decreases your chances of winning.
- Likes do not count.
- You do not have to be following me, but it is always appreciated!
- Please, for the love of god, have your ask or submit page open! I need to be able to contact you through tumblr!
- I do not have any other sizes besides these, so please don’t ask. These tees are what I had leftover from my last con.
- I will not do specific button requests, you get what I pull out of my magical button box. They’re all great though, don’t worry.
- I might throw in some bookmarks! You’ll have to wait and see!
- There will be three winners, each chosen at random with a random number generator.
- Each winner will receive one tee (out of the three shown), three random buttons, a hand-drawn doodle of choice, and a handy-dandy business card (those were leftover too I want to get rid of them jusT TAKE ALL OF MY THINGS).
- If you are chosen as a winner, and your ask/submit pages are not open, I will choose someone else. If you are chosen and your ask/submit pages are up, you must respond to my contact within 24 hours or I will choose someone else.
- I can ship world-wide, and I will pay for shipping. Customs fees are a bitch, but I will do it. Just know that it might take a while for your package to get to you! I’ll let you know when I’m sending them out!
- The winners will get to choose their tees, first come first serve to whomever replies to me first! If you do not get the tee you wanted, I can always send you just a drawing by snail mail and I can choose a different winner of the tee!
Happy reblogging! If you have any questions just ask!
My life is a rainy night that rains 365 days. Heart that gets smaller in every 24 hours. I even hid the small comma and its tail, then the future that awaits me becomes a period… But carry the new day on your shoulder and run. What am I running towards? I’m scared, I’ve been abandoned locked away. Receiving love doesn’t mean you have it Covering time doesn’t mean it passes. Breathing doesn’t mean you live.
Tomorrow x Run - Tablo & Epik High